Wednesday, September 21, 2011

SpellingCity.com

In my previous post was a simple disclosure announcing that I would soon have access to SpellingCity.com

Day 1 was not as “plug and play” as I had hoped.  Nonetheless, totally worth it.  Truthfully, I was hoping to find immediate first grade spelling/vocab lists and just get Thing 1 on his merry way to spelling. 

Not the case.

HOWEVER, while our typical spelling/vocab portion of our day cost a bit more in time-day one ended very well for Thing 1 and his new spelling/vocab words.

I used the same spelling words as I would have without this program.  It only took a minute for me to type the spelling words into my own list.  I chose to publish my list so other members could use them as well.  (aren’t I thoughtful?) 

Immediately, SpellingCity.com prepared games and vocab exercises.  In order to get Thing 1 set up, I just had to add him as one of my children ( you get up to 5 with a YEARLY membership of $24.95!)  In my opinion, even on day one, I totally recommend using this program!  Once I had Thing 1 added, I clicked on assignments.  A wonderful list was already prepared for me to simply click on to assign Thing 1’s work. 

One of my favorite things (so far) with SpellingCity.com is the words I added were immediately assigned proper definitions (which I verified I wanted, you are given the choice of which definitions you want to coincide with the word).  i.e.  one of our words this week is tape.  I’m choosing tape, as in scotch tape…not tape as in record.  SpellingCity.com allows you to choose which one you want to use for the vocab exercises for the week.  Impressive! 

I’ve assigned Thing1 ten assignments with a due date of this coming Saturday.  (we’ve been on a school break so we need to school for 2 hours Saturday morning) 

So far Thing  1 has done a vocab test, a spelling test and “hang mouse” (which is not morbid like hangman)  lol  He did not know enough of his words by heart to do well at hang mouse so I did delete that one from his assignment and add different games.  I will re-assign that one later for him.  I’m enjoying the program for the computer time as well.  Thing 1 will have to learn more typing and location of letters on a qwerty keyboard-all good things to know. 

All in all, day 1 has proven to be very successful with SpellingCity.com  I’m incredibly thankful to Time4Learning for sharing this opportunity with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment