Tuesday, November 8, 2011

SpellingCity.com Review

A while back we were asked to do a review of SpellingCity.com.  We use Spellingcity.com EVERY DAY.  Admittedly, I haven't used many of the extras they seem to offer, here is what we do in our house:

 Every Sunday I add a new list from Heart of Dakota for the week we are on.  While we aren't presently using Heart of Dakota (again) we are using their spelling/vocab lists.  It's convenient and requires less time on my part for finding a list appropriate for Thing 1.  I upload 10 words while signed on as the parent/teacher.  I make my lists availale to other users, whether or not they use them is beyond me.
Spellingcity.com offers many different games for the kids to learn the proper spelling of their weekly words as well as games to teach them definitions.  I have the ability to choose with definition I want for each word when more than one is available. 
One of my absolute favorite features of spellingcity.com you ask?  The ability to preset assignments and save them.  It takes me only a few minutes on Sundays to prepare a whole week's worth of assignments for Thing 1.  Each day he does "teach me" for Spelling and Vocab.  Each day he has 1 or 2 more assignments after that to play games and work with the words and their definitions.  By Thursday night (we don't school on Fridays) he is ready to test.  Just this past week we did more than just testing on the computer-I printed the vocab  test for him to use at the table instead.  I liked it so much, we will do it again.  Thing 1 has to get either 90% of 100% to be able to move on to the next week.  If for some reason he doesn't pass (and that has yet to happen) he will do more games through the weekend and test again Sunday night.
Spellingcity.com gives me the freedom to work with other kids (or housework if I need to!) while Thing 1 works on work I prepared for him.
Spellingcity.com is a safe environment.  While Thing 1 works high on a stool in the kitchen up on a counter where I can see the screen no matter where I am in the kitchen-I know he is safe and only doing what I choose for him to do.

I absolutely LOVE spellingcity.com 


Please please please go here and sign up and see for yourself!



No comments:

Post a Comment